This past Monday we pulled plastic over Greenhouse #5 and are ready to hand dig the beds and amend with vermicompost. Our worms have been making some beautiful compost so our plan is to layoff the rows then add in compost to those rows.
This is my first time trying to document us covering a greenhouse because normally we are much too busy making sure the plastic doesn’t blow away. We are using a double poly layer for this greenhouse because it insulates the greenhouse better in extreme hot and cold temperatures. A double poly greenhouse has two layers of plastic using air blown in from the outdoors as insulation between the layers of plastic. An “Inflation Fan” is used, that constantly runs, keeping air filled in between the layers of plastic. We tried using a single poly layer on the greenhouse where we are currently growing sweet bell peppers and are noticing a lot of sun scalding that we didn’t have when growing peppers in our other greenhouses with a double poly layer. We are not certain the problem with our peppers is because of higher summer temperatures due to global warming or because we don’t have a double poly layer on this greenhouse.
The first process of covering our greenhouse is to prep the site and gather all the tools required for covering so we are not hunting for tools or parts once the plastic has been pulled. Once you pull the plastic it should be secured as quickly as possible because a gust of wind can cause the plastic to end up in the trees. Plastic is a big investment. We locate all the tools and get the site ready the day prior to skinning the greenhouse because we like to skin the greenhouse early in the morning before the afternoon winds pick up. The tools gathered and ready include: the jig, plastic, rope for pulling the plastic, 1 inch x 3 inch x4 foot for securing the plastic to be pulled, drill with drywall screw bit, drywall screws for securing the boards and plastic, enough kwic-clips for securing the plastic to the greenhouse frame, channel pliers (in case you need to undo the clips, 2 rubber mallets (for ensuring the clips are securely fastened to the greenhouse), push broom for pushing the first layer of plastic along so that it does not drop in-between the bows. Gloves for the folks pulling the plastic, a ladder for the person making sure there is tension on the roll of plastic as it is being pulled, a scaffold at the end for the person pulling the plastic, probably miscellaneous things I am forgetting.
Once both layers of plastic are pulled, Kwic-Clips are put in place to secure the layers of plastic to the greenhouse frame. My camera had gone missing while we were installing these but we have a few photographs of this step on Tony’s camera and I hope to upload them soon.