Suzanne's Chow Chow
- 2 cups green peppers chopped/shredded (any color peppers is fine). Using all red bell peppers make it red instead of green but taste is the same.
- 2 cups red peppers chopped/shredded
- 2 cups onions chopped/shredded
- 4 cups cabbage chopped/shredded
- 4 cups green tomatoes chopped/ shredded
- 3 cups sugar (2 cups is probably fine) or 2 cups erythritol for sugar free
- 2 teaspoons pickling spices in a cheese cloth or spice ball
- 2 cups vinegar (apple cider tastes better than white)
- 3 pods hot peppers or more to taste (optional)
1. Chop/ shred veggies and allow to sit at least 3 hours in 2 Tablespoons of salt and 1 tray of ice cubes. I have let it sit in the frig for up to 7 days.
2. Drain and put veggies, vinegar and spices (in a spice ball, tied up coffee filter or cheese cloth) in a non-reactive pot
3. Bring to a boil.
4. Cook 10 minutes.
5. Spoon into hot sterile jars, put warm lids on and tighten down with the bands.
6. Process in a hot water bath for 5 minutes.
Tasting Notes: What do I make with Chow Chow? Of course as a garnish for pinto or other beans; to make an appetizer spread pepper jelly atop a block of cream cheese and top jelly with Chow Chow; add to pimento cheese; add to tuna or salmon salad; top scrabbled egg; any place you would use pickle relish such as hot dogs, burgers, deviled eggs, egg salads or top garden salad. .