Pumpkin Cheesecake Crust:
1 cup flour (we use organic whole wheat)
1/3 cup brown sugar
5 tablespoons butter
2/3 cup almonds
(1) Put all the above ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth. Press mixture into the bottom/sides of at least an 8x8x1-1/2 inch glass baking dish.
(2) Bake crust at 350 degrees for around 5 – 10 minutes.
Pumpkin Cheesecake (makes 2 pies):
3 – 8 oz packages of cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon fresh grated cinnamon (may use ground)
1/4 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg (may use ground)
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger (grated finely)
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
12 ounces winter squash puree (roast or steam butternut, kobacha or pumpkin squash until tender and mash with a food processor or blender)
1/4 to 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (purchase good chocolate!)
(1) Put the Cream Cheese, Sugars and Pumpkin in a food processor or blender
(2) Add Eggs, two at a time, blending/processing until smooth
(3) Add Spices and Flour, blending/processing until smooth
(4) If you wish a chocolate swirl into the cheesecake, you will reserve around a 1/4 to 1/2 cup of cream cheese/pumpkin mixture
(5) Pour Cheese Cake mixture into prepared crust or glass dish.
(6) In double broiler, melt chocolate until smooth, add reserved cream cheese mixture to make a more liquid solution. Using a fork/knife, add chocolate mixture to the cheesecake mixture, creating a marble effect.
(7) Bake at 375 for 20 minutes, then turn down the oven to 325 and bake another 20 minutes