Aloo Saak (Spinach or Swiss Chard and Potatoes)
- 1 or 2 fresh or dried chilies - chopped
- 1/2 inch piece of fresh ginger - grated
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1 – 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 3 cloves garlic – minced
- 1 onion - cut into thin slices
- 6 tablespoons ghee butter or oil
- 2 potatoes – peeled and diced
- 1 lb fresh spinach or 1 lb Swiss chard or 1 lb Kale (cleaned and chopped. If using chard or kale, remove the stems)
- 3 tablespoons cream or substitute (cream cheese)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala (spice powder)
(1) Steam potato cubes until just tender. Set aside.
(2) Put chilies, ginger and water in blender or food processor. Puree to a smooth paste. Add coriander, turmeric, cumin, paprika and garlic. Blend well. Set aside.
(3) Heat 3 tablespoons butter or oil in a large nonstick pan over moderate heat until hot but not smoking. Gently add potato cubes and fry for about 15 minutes, turning gently and constantly, until evenly browned on all sides. Remove and set aside.
(4) Heat 3 tablespoons butter in nonstick skillet. Sauté onion until translucent. Carefully add the wet spice mixture to the hot oil and then add the chard/spinach/kale. Mixing gently. Reduce heat slightly. Cover and cook for until greens are your desired consistency. You will want to gently turn the greens a few times.
(5) Mix gently but thoroughly. Mix in the garam masala, salt and cream
(6) Add fried potato chunks, cover and cook another 5 minutes. Stir well before serving.