Spinach Potato Pie (YIELD: 5 to 6 servings as a main dish or 10 servings as a side)
• 2 1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled
• 1/3 cup melted butter for dairy, divided (use olive oil for pareve)
• 1/2 cup milk for dairy (use nondairy milk for pareve)
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
• 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese for dairy, divided
• 7 garlic cloves, minced
• 6 green onions, thinly sliced
• 2 pounds frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained (substitute fresh spinach, swiss chard or kale)
• 2 1/2 teaspoons dried dill
• 2 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
• 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
• 6 ounces feta cheese for dairy, crumbled
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease 9 x 13-inch pan.
2. Cook potatoes until soft. Drain, cool and mash.
3. Beat in 3 tablespoons butter or oil, milk or nondairy milk, salt, pepper, eggs and 6 tablespoons Parmesan cheese.
4. Heat 1 tablespoon butter or oil in large skillet and saute garlic and onions. Add spinach, reduce heat and cook covered 3 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and add dill, oregano and nutmeg. Mix in feta cheese.
6. Add 1 tablespoon butter or oil to baking pan and spoon half the potato mixture into bottom, pressing down. Layer spinach mixture and top with remaining potato mixture. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese and drizzle with remaining butter or oil.
7. Bake 50 minutes or until top is lightly browned.
NOTE: Bake the potato mixture bottom for a little while first for a crunchy effect.