Pumpkin Black Bean Bake (contributed by CSA member Kelly Anderson)
lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 – 15-oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen whole corn
-- 4-oz can diced green chilies (OR fresh
- 1/3 cup pumpkin or butternut squash puree
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup lower-sodium beef broth
- 1 – 3-oz pkg cream cheese, softened
- 1 – 8.5-oz pkg corn muffin mix
- 1 egg slightly beaten
- 1/3 cup milk
- diced jalapenos or jalapeno-olive relish
(1) Preheat oven to 400 degree F.
(2) In large skillet cook ground beef, pumpkin and onion over medium heat until meat is browned and onion tender, breaking up ground beef with spoon; drain fat. Stir in black beans, corn chilies, and salt. Heat through. Stir in broth and cream cheese until blended. Transfer mixture to 2 – ½ quart baking dish.
(3) In medium bowl stir together corn muffin mix, egg, milk pumpkin puree until just combined. Spoon over beef mixture.
(4) Bake 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into topper comes out clean. Serve with diced jalapenos or jalapeno-olive relish.