Okra with Yogurt
1 teaspoon whole black mustard seeds
9 oz of fresh okra
5 tablespoons vegetable oil (canola oil is good)
1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger (or more to taste)
1 hot fresh chili, finely chopped
pinch asafoetida (optional)
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon whole black mustards seeds
10 curry leaves, fresh (usually available at Greenlife Grocery
1 or more red chili, dried
2 cups yogurt
(1) Rinse okra quickly & pat dry. Cut off the top crown of okra pods and the tip if tough. Cut crosswise into rounds about ¼”- ½” thick.
(2) Heat oil in frying pan over medium flame. When hot, add okra & fry, stirring, until okra turns reddish-brown and is cooked through. Remove okra with slotted spoon and put on paper towels. Strain off any remaining oil in pan and save.
(3) Put yogurt in bowl & beat with whisk until smooth & creamy.
(4) Grind one teaspoon mustard seeds in coffee grinder. Add ground mustard seeds, ginger, salt & green chili to yogurt. Mix. Stir in okra.
(5) In small frying pan, heat 2 Tbsp oil over medium flame – use the saved oil and add a little more if needed. When hot add asafetida, then a second or two later add the whole mustard seeds. As soon as mustard seeds begin to pop, put in chilis and curry leaves. When chilis darken, pour everything into the yogurt and mix. Serve at room temperature.